Baiyu at the Great Women in Music event, cr: 319 Public Relations
Being featured by the likes of Funkmaster Flex, Karen Civil, You Heard That New, R&B Xclusive, as well as landing on the homepage of The Source, are accomplishments that not many can say they have achieved. However, Baiyu has accomplished that and she is determined to do more with the release of her first EP entitled ‘B-Side’. If you don’t know Baiyu, get to know her here.
“B-Side” fuses 90s style R&B and synth pop with the talent of a singer/songwriter. When Baiyu lays the vocals down on each and every track, you can hear her soul through the lyrics. The passion and strength of her voice compliments the lyrics in her songs, partly because Baiyu wrote every song on her album. Baiyu has been in the studio laboring tremendously alongside Mike Thompson, Vice President of A&R at JMD Records/ Universal Music Group, for the past three months. In that time they have been able “to complete a project that both she and the label are extremely proud of and excited for”.
“Mike has been a wonderful resource for us and an amazing mind to work with” comments Val, Baiyu’s manager. “Baiyu and I both feel very confident about the success of this project partly because we are in such capable hands. The type of support that JMD has shown us throughout this entire process has been quite a blessing.”
Baiyu has shared that this first EP “has its roots in not only my musical core, but in my personal experiences. Each song can be tied to such specific moments in my life that I almost feel a kind of nakedness in sharing them with others. Yet, I remind myself that this very fact is what is most exciting about the release, and is what I, and my fans, have been waiting for.”
The tracks on B-Side has quite an eclectic feel, from inspirational lyrics to sensual undertones. Here are my thoughts of Baiyu’s EP track by track. But don’t just take my word for it, go out and get it.
1. ‘B-Side’ is the titletrack for the the EP. It’s lyrics and beat is a good defining tune for Baiyu’s style, a mix of old-school R&B, the sultry and sensual, classic and refreshing.
2. ‘Sweet Misery’ incorporates the sounds of a drum, mandolin, and studio beats to create a haunting uptempo ballad that lingers in your mind. It’s a great song for any girl (or guy) to incorporate in their break-up playlist. This is the type of track where I feel Baiyu’s personality really shines through. It’s strong, soft, and most of all very genuine, especially with her lyrics. She delivers authenticity with a tone that is true to the emotions involved within the storyline of the song.
3. ‘Don’t Cry’ is a song that I imagine hearing Usher or Ne-Yo singing to add a gentle and acoustic track to their album. The lyrics and mood of the song added by the melody of the guitar create a beautiful composition of music. ‘Don’t Cry’ is has a lullaby-effect that won’t put you to sleep because you want to stay in that blissful and nurtured mood. It takes you to a peaceful state of mind where you feel protected. With having a female taking over the vocals, it adds a bit of depth and expands the message of the song.
4. ‘Foolish’ shares sensual passion with the ‘ooh-wee’ and the pain of regret when asking ‘How was I so foolish’. It’s a song that understands the pain and regret that is endured when it comes to the demise of a heart. It expresses hurt, sorrow and realization. The vocals show off Baiyu’s range and her ability to express the emotions in lyrics.
5. ‘Tomorrow’s Another Day’ reminds me of Katy Perry’s ‘Firework’ because while the music is a bit more uptempo in beat the lyrics itself could make for a beautiful ballad. During performance sets I could see Baiyu performing an acoustic version of this song, which would accompany this track very well. It’s a message that acknowledges the pain of today but hope for tomorrow. Overall, this track just brings a smile to my face. It’s the type of song that you could play throughout your apartment on laundry day with your ponytail, no makeup and sweats, with your brush as your microphone and just sing-a-long and get a bit silly. ‘Tomorrow’s Another Day’ is beautiful ‘feel-good’ song.
Overall, ‘Don’t Cry’ and ‘Tomorrow’s Another Day’ are my favorite tracks from the ‘B-Side’ mainly because if you take music personally like I do, you like the music that matches your mood or brings you to the state of mind that you want to be in. I’m just at a happy place right now and I find both of these songs to be beautiful, uplifting, and comforting. However, if you’re going through a breakup, or wish today’s artist would return to old-school R&B then you will probably prefer tracks like ‘Foolish’. To sum up ‘B-Side’ I would have to say it’s a great EP of songs which shares two of Baiyu’s biggest strengths, her personality and her ability to connect. Baiyu has an amazing voice and an array of songs to share with you and I hope all of you enjoy ‘B-Side’ as much as I do.
B-Side is available for purchase on Itunes.
You can also Hear the entire album and get audio widget on Baiyu’s BandCamp by clicking here.
Check out the teaser trailer for ‘B-Side’ below.